World History 1st Quarter Project
Group Construction and Presentation on Historical
Buildings and Landmarks
This project will require the students to do a group construction and presentation of a specific building or landmark. Listed on the next page are buildings and historical landmarks that the students can choose to do their project on and are then required to construct the building or landmark similar to its original state. They will then be required to do a 5-7 minute presentation on the topic they chose in front of the class, discuss in full the information they received through their research and answer any questions the rest of the class or instructor may have regarding their project.
This project will allow the student to:
1. Enhance his/her ability to work in groups.
2. Effectively demonstrate his/her knowledge of a particular building or landmark.
3. Learn about other landmarks or building from the presentations given by other groups in class.
4. Improve his/her research skills.
5. Improve his/her ability to construct a building or landmark.
6. Improve his/her ability to give a public presentation.
7. Be shown that historical buildings or landmarks can be presented in a variety ways.
Requirements for the 1st Quarter Project
1. The students will choose to work in a group of 3-4
2. The group topic must come from the list provided to them or approved by the instructor.
3. Research on the chosen topic needs to be done by all group members prior to creating their building or landmark.
4. The presentation must be 5 to 7 minutes in length.
5. All group members need to participate in the construction process.
6. The groups will present their construction to the class and will be expected to answer any questions following their presentation.
7. All group members are required to participate in their presentation.
*For each day the project is late, one letter grade will be taken off the group’s final score.
The completion of the building/landmark will count 40 points, the class presentation will count 30 points, group participation will count 30 points and the bibliography will count 10 points. Each group member will hand me a sheet rating the participation scores of his/her fellow group members. Only I will see those sheets; honesty and truthfulness is needed when rating fellow group members. A final score will be available from me after I have collected and calculated the participation score sheets.
Each group is required to do research on their topic to ensure that it is accurate and understood by all group members. A minimum of five (5) resources are required for this project, and two (2) of the sources need to be books (no exceptions will be made to this rule). Group resources and research are due on Tuesday October 3rd failure to bring them in on this day will result in a 5-point penalty for not being brought in on time.
The class is encouraged to ask questions from the groups that present; it is important that each student pays attention during presentations and write down questions he/she may have. Students that fail to pay attention or are disruptive will loss of points on their project. It is important to be respectful to the groups that are presenting.
If you need any help or assistance while working on this project, please let me know. If a problem arises between group members or there is no participation coming from a particular group member, again, please let me know as soon as possible. I will do whatever I can to answer all of your questions and help you stay on track.
This project will be worth 110 points. Constructions and bibliography are due on October 31st with group presentations beginning that day.
Evaluation for the Project
Construction of the Building or Landmark (40 points)
Accurate and similar to the actual building or landmark (30 points)
Materials used were okayed by instructor (10 points)
Construction Presentation (30 points)
Introduction and conclusion (6 points)
Organization (2 points)
Group knowledge on the topic was displayed (14 points)
Correctly answered questions from the class and instructor (6 points)
All group members contributed to the presentation (2 points)
Group Participation (30 points)
Group members were present and involved during (15 points)
group meetings, topic research, construction of the
building or landmark and group presentation
Group members contributed to the group’s presentation (15 points)
in class and answered questions from the class
Resources and Research (10 points)
Bibliography (done in correct format: MLA) (10 points)
List of Historical Buildings or Landmarks
-Great Wall of China -Roman Coliseum
-Roman Aqueducts -Acropolis of Athens/Parthenon
-Roman Roads -Stone Henge
-Army in a Tomb -Trojan Horse
-Taj Mahal -Great Pyramid of Giza
-Great Temple Emperor’s -Hadrian’s Wall
Palace in Tenochtitlan
-Great Serpent Mound in Ohio -“Lost City” of Andes
-Hanging Gardens of Babylon -Lighthouse of Alexandria
-Colossus of Rhodes -Statue of Zeus at Olympia